Sunday, October 31, 2010

GU Review


A couple months ago, GU sent me some gel packets to try out in exchange for a blog review.  I had only tried the power bar gel and you can read what I thought about that HERE.  I had seen the word GU all over the blogosphere so I wanted to see what all the hype was about.  Well, they sent me 4 different flavors to try! With not being able to run for 2 weeks before my half marathon, I didn’t get to try them all out before hand, but just recently tried the last flavor this past week!

P8192012


A little about GU (
from their website)

GU is simple. Simple is fast.

Simple to take, simple to digest, GU Energy Gel provides just what you need for premium exercise fuel and none of the extras that slow you down. GU takes you where you want to go, fast.

Launched in 1991, the world’s first energy gel is still the most efficient sports fuel available today. GU’s carbohydrate blend delivers high-quality, easily-digested and long-lasting energy for athletes in every sport and at all levels.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The packets say to take a GU 15 minutes before and then every 45 during and to follow up with a swig of water.  I didn’t take a gel before my half marathon because I had eaten before so I didn’t need it.  Also, on my long runs, I tend to take a gel every 30-45 minutes or every 3-5 miles depending on how I’m feeling.  Now, on to my thoughts about the different flavors!

 

Mandarin Orange (w/caffeine)

mandarin orange

 

   This flavor is relatively new.

   To be honest, this was probably
   my least favorite flavor out of the
   four that they sent me to try.

   It was, in my opinion a little too
   citrusy and the texture seemed to
   be a little thicker than the others.
 

   click the image to enlarge nutrition

 

 

Vanilla Bean  (w/caffeine)

vanilla bean


  
I actually liked GU’s Vanilla gel
   better than the power bar gel that I
   tried a while ago (see above).

  Vanilla Bean is actually pretty good
   and kind of reminds me of frosting
   a little bit.

   I can see myself adding this flavor
   with others in the future in my GU
   Gel flask for a new interesting 
   flavor

   Click the image to enlarge nutrition

 

Mint Chocolate (No caffeine added)**

mint choc

 

   I really liked this flavor!

   Mint Chocolate reminds me of the
   little Andes mints you get at Olive
   Garden or sometimes in hotel
   rooms

   It’s like downing candy during a
   long run!

   Click the image to enlarge nutrition

 


Tri-Berry  (w/caffeine)
 

triberry

   This is my absolute flavor that GU
   sent me to try out!

   I ordered some of the Tri-Berry gel
   after i tried it and used it for my
   half marathon in September

   Usually I tend to prefer chocolate
   flavors over fruity flavors but I
   loved this flavor!  Unlike the
   Orange, I didn’t think that this
   flavor was too much of anything!

   Click the image to enlarge nutrition

 

I never once had any issues after downing a gel.  It never made my tummy hurt or made me feel queasy and I can honestly say that I can tell a difference when I use GU on my long runs versus not! 

I have since acquired more GU and it has become my go to fuel for my training and will be my go to fuel for my races! It is highly unlikely that you have not heard of GU, but just in case you haven’t, if you would like to learn more or order your own gel GO HERE!  Thank you GU Energy for allowing me to test your products!

Do you use GU or do you use something else to fuel during those hard/long training runs and races?  If you use GU, what is your favorite flavor?

 

If you would like to host a review/giveaway on my blog please feel free to send an email to Zaneta at runners.luck@hotmail.com

** In case you didn’t read the nutrtion label for the Mint Chocolate, it contains a small amount of caffeine already due to the dark chocolate ingredient, but has no added caffeine other than that 4mg per packet

12 comments:

  1. I love love love the Chocolate Outrage and Chocolate Mint flavors I keep a stash on hand at all times. :) Great review

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been wanting to try the mint chocolate GU. I also love the vanilla bean and tri berry but have never had the orange.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i stopped with gels/gu and switched to accelerade. it's just easier for my digestive system to tolerate

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everyone raves about GU, but I'v not tried it yet. I use Clif Bloks which are a gummy bear texture carbohydrate chew. I really like them. Having read your review and knowing we are doing similar things, I'll give GU a try. Thanks, Z for your review and insight.
    mystorychapter2.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice review! Yum...I like the mint chocolate and the triberry! But, I have to say that I like Hammer gels better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like Gu (it works!), but my stomach cannot handle it. So I either use Hammer Gel, or Clif Shot Bloks. With Gu, I get goosebumps within 5 minutes of taking it :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favorite is mint chocolate, but I like vanilla and tri-berry, too. At the Denver Marathon, we were given mandarin orange, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet. So nice that you got some free samples. : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. I use GU and love it. My favorite is Chocolate Outrage. The Choc Mint is not available in South Africa yet. I hope it gets here. I'm sure I'll love it. I also use Vanilla and Orange on long ultras just for a different taste in my mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love GU, used it for all my training runs, and never had a problem!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ill definitely have to get these a try.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love, love, love the vanilla. It's simple, but classic. Glad you liked them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks :)
    --
    http://www.miriadafilms.ru/ приобрести кино
    для сайта zanetaruns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love hearing from you! Have a GREAT day!! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...