Saturday, September 4, 2010

Happy Birthday to my Mom!

Today is my mom's birthday! To start out the day, my parents and aunt and uncle and cousin came to watch my 5k race this morning (I'll do a RR early next week!) and then walked around the festival for a little bit... it was a blast! It was so much fun! I laughed so hard all day! It was rather chilly though with the wind! I think the high temperature was 68!

After we got home, my mom decided that she could do whatever she wanted on her birthday and took a nap for a couple hours, and then got up and started making dinner because my youngest sister is home this weekend from college so my mom made her favorite dinner and my boyfriend came out to eat with us. After dinner, I got out the peach cobbler I tried to make last night for my mom's birthday! I think I shall name it "Fail Cobbler" ... Disclaimer: I have never made cobbler in my life and am just discovering that being in the kitchen can kind of be fun if you're not a kid being made to do the dishes and actually want to be there! Here's the recipe I used just in case you guys dont know how to make cobbler either!! So, here's the story in mostly pictures:

I found a recipe and got the ingredients

Photobucket

Skinned and sliced the peaches (I only used 6 out of the 10 I bought) and combined them with sugar and water to boil for 10 minutes

Photobucket

Photobucket

Made the dough with sugar, flour, and milk

Photobucket

Photobucket

Melted the butter in the pan

Photobucket

Combined them in the pan as the directions said and put it in the oven with cinnimon sprinkled on top

Photobucket

**Here's where I realized that I failed miserably!! I noticed that the dough wasn't rising like it should and looked at the recipe again because I was pretty sure I did everything I was supposed to. "Self-rising flour" WHOOPS!! I used all purpose flour and didn't add any baking powder!! MAJOR FAIL! Well I guess it wasn't quite a major fail because everyone really liked it still, especially my mom which is what really counts since it was her birthday afterall!

Photobucket

So happy birthday to the best mother ever and I'm glad your day wasn't a fail like my cobbler!

8 comments:

  1. What woman HASN'T made that mistake before?! lol

    It ain't gotta be purdy as long as it tastes good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry the cobbler was a fail but it sure looks good! Happy birthday to your mom--my mom's is in less than 2 weeks and I'm still agonizing on what to get her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's an easy mistake to make, esp. since most recipes call for AP flour. Glad it was good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It still looks pretty delicious. Seriously, how can anything with peaches, sugar & butter taste bad?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday to your mom! I loved the step-by-step pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy b-day to your mom! I think that cobbler still looks delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol - I've definitely had my share of mistakes in the kitchen, too!! But as long as it tastes great, that's all that matters!
    Happy birthday to your mom...... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did a 5K this weekend I don't think your a lazy bum. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love hearing from you! Have a GREAT day!! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...